Tuesday 24 April 2012

The Capital of Gastronomy - Lyon

After Tuscany, I resigned from the yacht and decided to back pack more throughout France. I had to throw a lot of clothes away as I couldn't fit everything into my K-Way. I left half of my baggage at a backpackers in Nice and only travelled with the necessities.

My friend, Armand lived in Lyon at the time so it would be the perfect destination for my first stop.  I booked a ticket the next day. It was a 5 hour trip so I decided to go First Class. Backpacking in style!!!

Lyon is the capital for all foodies.  When I was in my first year at chef school, I did a project on Lyon and ever since I have always wanted to explore the culinary beauty of the city.

Armand picked me up at the train station and gave me a tour of the city.  These guys were living the life. They were barmen at 4 different clubs. Every night after their shifts they would party at the boat until 5am and wait for the boulangerie to open and grab a freshly baked croissant and then go to bed. I must admit, it was the best jambon et fromage croissant I have ever had!


Le Rhone 
Pont Lafayette

Ayers Rock Australian Bar (the boat)





If you’re a foodie and you’ve never been to Les Halles Paul Bocuse in Lyon then quite frankly you haven’t lived. Forget La Grande Épicerie de Paris and the covered market in Cannes, this glass and steel ‘temple of food’ attracts shoppers and tourists from far and wide thanks to its mouth-watering displays of the finest regional produce and down-to-earth atmosphere.


The Paul Bocuse Food 
Market








                                       

Cosmopolitan Bar

Armand in action




We had the most amazing lunch at the Le Bistro du Potager
Chef Franck Delhoum is the magician in the kitchen.


Amuse Bouche - Chicken broth

Corsican cured ham, grilled figs and goats cheese on bruschetta

Grilled duck breast with creamy polenta

Chocolate fondant

 Thank you Armand for an amazing time in Lyon.
Done with the eating...now it was time to drink some wine in Bordeaux...

No comments:

Post a Comment