Tuesday 6 March 2012

Thrown into the deep end...

3 April 2011 - First day of work

I got up early and started to clean the galley, made inventory lists, stock take, etc. When Vlad and Tanya arrived at 8h30 they had brought fresh croissants, pain au chocolat and a baguette along for breakfast. I had no idea where to start or what to do. After breakfast Arnold Schwarzenegger got out of a limousine on the quay just opposite our berth.  Blinded by the bright flashes of the paparazzi I ran outside and saw the actual terminator! Great excitement for the first day on the job!

We had a meeting and discussed the itinerary. Our owners were Russians from St. Petersburg. Vald and Tanya were both from Estonia but also spoke Russian. Vlad's English was good as he lived in London for 11 years but Tanya had only been speaking English for 2 years.  Everyone told me to be careful because Russians are very different to us but I had a good feeling about them, they were so nice to me and I felt very comfortable.

The owners were coming in 3 days for their first holiday of the season. I didn't really know what to expect. The wife sounded very demanding and called Vlad frequently giving orders of what they wanted. Seafood, seafood and more seafood.

Tanya showed me around Cannes and went with me to the markets.  Besides prepping for the guests I still had to cook for the crew. I was so nervous because I had never cooked for them before. I made a carbonara with bacon and mushrooms for lunch and just remember how they loved it! What a relief. The basic dish was a success. Vlad loved it so much he said he would have it for dinner as well!

M/Y Martlet 25m Sunseeker 

No comments:

Post a Comment