Tuesday 6 March 2012

Vive La Francais

31 March 2011

After a lovely week in Holland, I said my good byes and flew to Nice, France. I took the bus to Cannes where my brother Mark met me at the port. We stayed at Ben's (one of Mark's crew members) apartment for the weekend. Finally I was in France. We went to a Mexican bar in Antibes that night. Drank a lot of margaritas and ate delicious quesadillas, sticky ribs and nachos. What a rough night!

The next morning I had my first interview with the captain of M/Y Martlet. I was so hungover and needed a quick fix. Mark took me to a lovely little patisserie down the road, where I had my first Croissant, pain au chocolat et espresso in France! This was a big moment for me!



Having my pain au chocolat at port de Cannes before my interview.

The interview went well, the captain basically told me I have the job, but I didn't want to accept immediately and told them I would get back to them at the end of the weekend.  Martlet was just 5 berths from Mariette (the classic sailing yacht Mark works on) so I thought it was perfect.

After the interview we went to Mariette and I got a tour on the beauty. I never knew you have to take your shoes off before you get onto any yacht. I was such a novice, didn't know anything!

Mariette



We had a great weekend.  I met some more Saffas and watched rugby on their beautiful yacht and then all of us had sun downers on Shamrock (classic sailing yacht). On Sunday we took the tender and went out to the islands of Cannes and skurfed. It was so beautiful. I thought to myslef, "This is the good life". 

 I decided to take the job and moved onto Martlet later Sunday afternoon. The Captain, Vlad and stewardess, Tanya who were a couple, had their own apartment in Juan les Pins and I spent my first night alone on the yacht. This was all surreal. They basically showed me around and left.
I discovered Nespresso in Holland for the first time and was very happy to see a Nespresso machine in the galley. So there I was alone on a yacht with a cup of delicious cafe. Who ever thought this would happen to me!

Mark and I in Antibes

Good to sea sandy beaches



No comments:

Post a Comment